This podcast is the narrated version of my article 3 Reasons I Never Have My Clients Relive Their Traumatic Experiences.
Here are three reasons why I never get a client with PTSD to relive their traumatic experiences.
In this episode I talk about:
- ‘Help’ can sometimes harm
- Reason One: You can reactivate the pattern and embed it deeper
- Reason Two: Someone who desperately needs help may be put off ever seeking it
- Reason Three: It’s a waste of valuable time
- Rocking the boat?
Or watch this episode of the podcast on video below:
- Rose S, Bisson J, Churchill R, Wessely S. Psychological debriefing for preventing post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002;(2):CD000560.
- See Wikipedia entry on Ignaz Semmelweis, pioneer of antiseptic procedure.
Subscribe to Mark Tyrrell's Therapy and Counselling Tips Podcast
Twice a week, Mark reads one of his therapy tips articles and occasionally discusses psychology-related topics.