Treating depression can be tough.
Your client is struggling desperately through their life, hour by agonising hour.
As a practitioner, you understand how they feel and you desperately want to help them. It can feel like you’re caught in a crushing vice between their pain and your own empathy.
And it gets worse…
Depression warps people’s world view, and the natural response to that is to unload all that pain. On you.
Their depressed world view rains down on you, waterlogging your most upbeat efforts and dampening your therapeutic spirits.
Now of course we’re trained to deal with this, but even the most experienced practitioner can find it hard to resist the onslaught of depressive thoughts and life-sapping perspectives that come forth from the depressed mind.
At first, you manage to remain positive and maybe even get some gains with your depressed client, but soon enough, you find yourself floundering in a seemingly endless sea of impossible-to-solve problems.
Worst of all, you might find yourself becoming a little depressed too. And that’s no help to anyone.
So what can you do?
There are two things you as a practitioner need:
- A clear understanding of what is happening with a depressed person. In other words, why they are depressed.
- A simple framework for treatment that will keep you on track and protect you from the overwhelming detail and depressive perspectives that the depressed client often swamps you with.
And what your depressed client needs is:
- New knowledge: Depressed people need a clear, easy-to-understand model of how depression works and why it is so awful. We call this the cycle of depression. We teach it to clients in the very first session and it almost always blows them away. I’ve seen depressed people laugh out loud with joy at the release this gives them, when they understand how simple and normal depression is. I’ll show you exactly how to do this on the course.
- A break from the stress: Depression is always accompanied by anxiety and this drives depressive symptoms and creates a highly stressed brain. Without relieving this stress, little progress can be made. You’ll discover how to do this quickly and easily, and give them the tools to do the same.
- Problem solving and emotional resilience skills: Many areas of life contribute to depression. Until your client learns new skills to navigate their problem areas more effectively the risk will always be there. We cover every area of life and give you clear instructions for teaching the essential life skills for each, including simple thinking (cognitive) skills that take the power out of depressive thoughts.
- New experiences: To be effective, therapy needs to take root outside the therapy room. Small tasks, carefully introduced can help re-establish a sense of competence and confidence.
They need all this (and more) embedded in a setting of calm understanding from a practitioner who knows that they can help. This sense of confidence alone can do so much for someone who has given up hope of ever feeling well again.
Why do I want this for you?
Well, because in my 20+ years of training therapists, I have seen again and again just how many people fail to get the help they need, when they need it, with disastrous consequences.
I have seen caring, capable therapists give up their practices because they weren’t making the difference they had hoped, or just couldn’t make ends meet.
And because I know how it feels to face a hopeless, distressed person and not be able to help.
Are you a helper? Or a marketer? Or a business person?
It’s not easy being a lone practitioner. Trying to stay in touch with the reasons you first started helping others is difficult while dealing with the day to day pressures of marketing, running your business, and the isolation that can bring.
I know because I’ve been there. For years I had the long hard slog of trying to build up my practice. And that slog was made all the harder by the depressed clients I was seeing who I knew I could do more for.
When I finally made the breakthrough of how to treat depression quickly, so much changed.
- My clients started getting better right from the first session.
- I started looking forward to seeing my depressed clients.
- My depressed clients started telling their doctors and other caregivers.
- And my word of mouth referrals just took off.
Why should being good at treating depression make such a difference to my business?
For a long time I wondered why. Why should it make such a difference when I helped depressed people, compared to all the other problems I treated? Then I realised: Because no-one else could do it. Or at least, very few people could. And doctors had been seeing these poor people for years – coming back to their surgeries again and again, and they felt just as helpless as the patients themselves.
So when someone came along who could make a clear and lasting difference, they really took notice. And so the referrals rolled in.
But what was I doing that was so different?
If you’ve seen the videos I sent you over the last week or so, you’ve heard a lot about this approach. And it might seem complicated, but I promise you it’s not. In fact, complication is the last thing a depressed person needs. They are already confused and scared about what is happening to them.
The Course – How to Lift Depression Fast
After learning this approach (more years ago than I care to remember!), I started training therapists in it with my company Uncommon Knowledge. We did this for ten years on our year long practitioner diploma course. Hundreds of therapists from that course are now making a real difference to thousands of depressed people’s lives.
Then in 2007 we put How to Lift Depression Fast online, and continued the training to practitioners worldwide, all the time refining and improving the training material to make it simpler and easier to use. Since that time, thousands of practitioners have taken this course (you’ll see some of their testimonials further down the page).
We put it into home study format in a book and digital pack, and finally we have created this format – home study materials in a lovely online space called Uncommon U which we created specifically to make online learning easy and enjoyable.
Join a community of like-minded people
Throughout the course you’ll be able to converse with your fellow students, discuss cases with them or myself, review and repeat any material as you feel necessary, and ask questions in the comments section in Uncommon U or save them up for the monthly live Q&A calls.
We guarantee the course’s effectiveness
When I’m talking about this course, I find it hard to get across just how much I believe in it without shouting and waving my arms around. And I believe that once you’ve completed the course, you’ll feel exactly the same.
There’s nothing like the feeling you get from truly helping a depressed person to get you all worked up!
But I understand that this is a serious investment, and you need to know that it is going to be worth it, so the only thing I can really do to take the pressure off you is give you this guarantee: I promise you will find treating your next 3 depressed clients an enjoyable and uplifting experience after completing the course. And that they will feel much better after the first session, and feel the best they have felt in years after 6 (if you need that many).
And you are the judge. If you don’t agree this is the case, simply ask and I’ll refund you. You see, I really want as many practitioners to know this approach as possible.
I believe depression is robbing our families and communities of so much human potential, and we can do something about it. I hope this gives you the peace of mind you need to go ahead and book your place now.
What’s included in the ‘How To Lift Depression Fast’ course?
- Comprehensive course notes – 123 pages in PDF book format.
- Depression Treatment Video – watch me treat a depressed man using the Uncommon approach.
- Client Audio Sessions – be a fly on the wall, listening to 3 live therapy sessions with myself. You’ll see all the techniques come together.
- Monthly Live Question & Answer Session – join your fellow students from this and our other courses to ask me questions about the course and any therapy-related queries you have. You can ask your questions live on the call or submit them beforehand and if you can’t make the live calls, they’ll be available to download the following day (in mp3 format).
- 4 Free ‘Peaceful Moments’ relaxation downloads (value $35) – you can copy these onto CD or USB stick for your clients, available as mp3 downloads.
- Step-by-step depression session guide including depression teaching aids for your clients, such as the Primal Needs Checklist and Action Plan.
- Full access to the archive of previous live interactions between myself and previous students on treating depression. That’s more than 10 hours of detailed discussion on topics such as interventions for specific clients therapists are working with, comment on approaches and depression treatment ideas not in our course, and more.
- Access to our online training platform, Uncommon U with private comments areas where you can discuss the course, clients, ideas and ask questions with me and other course students.
- 2 video assignment sessions – videos from myself on key topics, with supporting materials to embed your learning.
- Self test quizzes to embed your knowledge.
- Dedicated course support – Kirstin, head of our Uncommon Care Team, will be on hand to answer any queries you might have, either in Uncommon U, by email or by telephone.
- Certificate of completion – on successful completion of the course, you will receive a personalized certificate.
- Confirmation of 21 hours/points for your Continuing Professional Development.
- Access to the Uncommon Practitioners Private Facebook Group where you can chat with like-minded practitioners, get support, discuss cases or just share your latest beautiful photo.
- ‘The Natural Depression Treatment Program‘ (value $195) a self-help program for depression sufferers and includes 17 deeply relaxing audio sessions and a 200-page workbook (all as downloads).
- ‘The Learning Path’ eBook – a 100 page eBook that you can print and share with your clients, to help them understand how depression works and how to beat it.
- Reframing Training (value US $60) containing role plays on how to change depressed people’s minds about themselves (a tricky skill we think you’ll agree!) Available as mp3 downloads.
- Client Attractor Pack read on to find out more about this valuable resource…
So you’ve done the course, treated a few clients and been amazed at how much better they are feeling very quickly. You’re very excited about how many people’s lives you can change, but…
How do you tell the world, or at least your community, about your new depression-beating skills?
Well we’re here to help.
Depressed Client Attractor Pack
Ready made marketing materials to bring clients into your practice
We know how difficult marketing can be. According to the surveys we’ve done and the discussions we’ve had with our therapist friends, that’s one area that people said they had particular trouble with. We’ve heard time and time again that they’d prefer to focus on their clients, not on continually drumming up business.
But once you get the resources you need from the Client Attractor Pack, you’ll be able to boost the numbers of clients coming through your door.
The Client Attractor Pack contains:
- Postcard layout
- Business card layout
- Phone script to convert enquirers to buyers
- Content for your website
- Attract, convince and convert clients better than any depression treatment practitioner in your area.
You get immediate access so you can take the course at your own pace and you have access for one year.
Testimonials from our previous students
"No mumbo jumbo, just stuff that works"
If there was one practical step that you could implement... Read More
- Aidan Noone, Hypnotherapist and Coach, Ireland.
"Within a week her sleeping, eating, exercise, self talk improved"
I not long ago completed the Lifting Depression Fast course.... Read More
- Annie Walker, Clinical Hypnotherapist and NLP Practitioner, Bathurst Hypnotherapy, Bathurst NSW, Australia.
"Results have been nothing short of outstanding"
Having finished the course I refocused on what I wanted... Read More
- Carole Randell.
"When I see clients for a follow up session, they say how 'it all makes sense now'"
If you want to understand depression and help yourself or... Read More
- Deborah Simpson, Holistic Wellbeing Coach and Therapist, UK.
"Information that I have learned and picked up over the years was put into a coherent whole"
This course is enjoyable and easily accessible. Useful when one’s... Read More
- Deborah Summerton, Counsellor, Manchester, England.
"I’m able to use the material in my practice daily"
I looked forward to each Session and find I’m able... Read More
- Emma Hockley, Counsellor of Psychological Support & Interventions, New Zealand.
"I can't wait!...[I'm] excited about the chance to work with someone with depression"
I just would like to thank you for the Lift... Read More
- Martin Daubney, NLP Master Coach, Basel, Switzerland.
"Very comprehensive, covering every area of depression"
This course isn’t cheap but it is very comprehensive, covering... Read More
- Joan Anderton, Counsellor, Burton on Trent, England.
"I feel I have an amazing, creative team around me supporting my practice in the most informative, engaging, and accessible way"
These aren’t just courses for counsellors and therapists – I... Read More
- Carolyn Heap, Social worker, Hypnotherapist, and Counsellor, Berkshire, UK.
Your course gives [clients] new hope
I’ve seen too many clients on medication that remain depressed.... Read More
"A wealth of materials"
How to Lift Depression Fast was one on the best... Read More
- Louise Evans, Counsellor, Sydney, Australia.
"I was surprised to learn many of the teachings from grad school and post graduate learning were outdated and/or incorrect."
I have clients who have, and are, improving their level... Read More
- Charla Chenoweth-Swift, MSW, LCSW, LSCSW, LCAC, Behavioral Health Psychotherapist, Colorado, USA.
"How to Lift Depression Fast" was an eye opener for me
Learning the “How to Lift Depression Fast” was an eye... Read More
- Eric Yap, Clinical Hypnotherapist, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
"Never have I ever come across something like this that is so applicable"
Nothing that I learned from my masters degree course gave... Read More
- Huey, Counsellor, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
"Very supportive course and community"
A very accessible course, with lots of information we can... Read More
- Kitty Schwichiski, Trainee Psychotherapist/Clinical Hypnotherapist, UK.
"Your depression course...has provided me with a really great structure and greater confidence"
I have found your course exceptionally good. I have undertaken... Read More
- Sarah Humphrey, Occupational Therapist, Newcastle, UK.
"This approach to depression is much more sound"
In comparison to the current view of mainstream medicine this... Read More
- Dr Peter Ulle, Dentist, Graz, Austria.
"Clear and immediately applicable format"
The course content is excellent. Everything is brought together in... Read More
- Sophie Nicholls, Hypnotherapist, York, UK.
"A fresh perspective on depression"
What I particularly liked was the availability of the recordings... Read More
- Maria Doherty, Psychotherapist and Life Coach, South Lanarkshire, Scotland.
"I learned so much and I hardly noticed"
[The Trainers] were wonderful of course, and professional and approachable... Read More
- Bill Frazier, Hypnotic Skills for Positive Change, Maryland, USA.
"Got me to deepen my understanding"
I liked the build up of the course and the... Read More
- Etai Gilad, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
"This course helped me to rid myself of some of those 'silly little niggling thoughts'"
I liked the way the ‘Lift Depression Quickly’ course was... Read More
- Maxine Hamilton, Master Practitioner in NLP and Hypnotherapy, Horley, UK.
"Bountifully rich in knowledge and helping tools"
It is hard to be specific as there is such... Read More
- Rose Morgan, Hypnotherapist, Christchurch, New Zealand.
What will I learn in each session of the course?
Session 1 – The cycle of depression: Understand the true nature of depression
In this session, we’ll look at some of the reasons for the tenfold increase in depression since World War II. You will learn about the sufferer’s experience, study the ‘cycle of depression’, and see how, in most cases, depression is not due to a chemical imbalance or genetic factors but to anxiety and rumination.
This knowledge will give you a clear understanding of the process that causes depression. You will be able to distinguish between the types of therapeutic interventions that can help or harm a depressed person (vital in ensuring that the depression does not worsen) and explain what is causing their distressing symptoms, which will reassure them.
Session 2 – Emotional trance states: How negatively focused attention and the REM state can contribute to depression
When your client locks their attention on negative expectations or past events, they will become anxious. Anything that arouses emotionality forces the brain into black-and-white thinking, hijacks the neocortex, and suspends the higher functions of the brain.
You will learn that to be able to lift depression, a therapist needs to help the person to relax and see outside the immediate perceived problems. Spotting unhelpful emotional trance states and changing the client’s focus will help to break the depressed state.
Session 3 – Calming down a depressed person’s brain: The most effective way to help a depressed person feel instant relief
To help a depressed person get better, you have to calm down their brain. In this session, you will learn four ways to relax your client.
You will be able to use the four proven techniques on your client immediately. Calming down your client’s brain will play an important part in their recovery.
Session 4 – Explanatory thinking styles: Identify and change the thinking styles that fuel depression
The way people attribute meaning to events or other people dictates their emotional responses. This Session enables you to understand and practice skills in spotting thinking styles that can lead to depression.
You will build your ability to identify and change the thinking styles that fuel depression, and be able to explain and demonstrate this to your client so they can do it themselves. This gives them invaluable self-assessment checks to use outside the therapy room. Once in place, this skill will nip in the bud the unhelpful thoughts that lead to excessive rumination.
Session 5 – Inoculate your client against future depression through knowledge of basic needs and nutrition
We are all born into the world with innate needs and if these needs are not met in a healthy way, then our inner drives can force us to pathways of thinking and action that can cause emotional and physical instability. Getting these needs met can be the first steps to problem solving – action, not thinking!
Nutrition can be a deciding factor in a depressed person’s recovery; learn how to advise them on how to eat to lift anxiety and bring increased energy.
Many clients need help in solving issues that cause them to worry; here we give tips on how to do this from real client session examples.
Helping your clients to get their primal human needs met in a healthy way and by guiding them to make small changes in their diet will immediately increase their energy and bring down anxiety. Also, ensuring that your client knows what to do to help stop thinking about a real problem and solve it will stop the need for introspection on the issue.
Session 6 – Rapport and Reframing: Subtle therapeutic interventions
Whether you are with a friend or client, it can often be tempting to try to ‘correct’ what you see as a self-defeating frame of reference as soon as you spot it. But, as with many things, timing and approach are crucial.
You will learn fast ways to build rapport with your client. This increases your chance of helping your client reframe unhelpful ways of explaining their world.
By reframing your client’s limiting outlook, you can demolish the viewpoint and high emotion that hold their depression and anxiety in place. Helping them to hold multiple interpretations of events and people opens the gate to experiencing life in a more optimistic and comfortable way.
You will also understand how to use task setting and scaling to break down the emotionally driven black-and-white thinking that drives depression.
Session 7 – How to structure your session for clear outcomes and the language of change
Learn the RIGAAR model for structuring a session and see how this can bring together the understanding and techniques that you have learnt and apply them for a wide variety of anxiety-related disorders.
Here’s the detail on how it works:
- Complete the payment process, you’ll be emailed your log in details and then you will get access to the course materials in Uncommon U, including a welcome video from Mark, and access to the comments section where you can introduce yourself to your fellow students.
- You can begin Session 1 immediately, during which you learn about the Cycle of Depression via your free Depression Learning Path eBook. You listen to the audio lecture for the session and read the materials.
- You move on to Session 2, after which there is a short test. Once that is complete, you move on to Session 3, and so on through all 7 Sessions.
- As you go along, you ask any questions you have in the comments boxes you’ll find on every page, or save them up for the monthly live Q&A calls.
- You continue through the course in this fashion until you have completed all Session tests.
- You receive your certificate of completion and confirmation of 21 CPD hours/points earned.