Help your clients escape the prison of their negative beliefs with the art of conversational reframing
For a therapist, it’s agonizing to witness.
There’s your client, tormenting and berating themselves. Round and round they talk; explaining why they feel so bad, why what happened was so dreadful, how trapped they are.
You desperately want to relieve them of that burden.
And of course – and this is even more frustrating – arguing with them doesn’t help at all.
No matter what you say, it only seems to make them even more entrenched in their negative beliefs. They seem lost in the depths of their sadness, anger and regret.
But there is a way to get through.
Why reframing is a core skill for every practitioner
Every practitioner needs to help their clients change how they think.
But more than that, our clients need to change how they feel.
And there is no quicker way to unlock a strongly-held belief than a well-crafted, carefully delivered reframe.
But we all know that’s easier said than done.
To be effective, a reframe must:
- Connect with the client’s current reality (rather than the practitioner’s!).
- Be delivered at the right time (this is such an important factor, but rarely discussed).
- Present a new reality that is just as acceptable, but makes them feel good instead of bad.
- Present a new reality that is so much more compelling than the old, more restricted way of perceiving their reality.
- Change the way the client feels, not just the way they think. This is a subtle point that is often missed when so called “cognitive reframing” is used.
That beautiful moment when you watch a reframe work its magic…
We’ve all attempted reframes and had them fall flat. It’s a gut-wrenching moment as you realise you’ve made it harder to get a therapeutic gain because you’ve raised your client’s unconscious defences.
But then you know that beautiful moment when a reframe ‘sticks’. Your client stops in their tracks, becomes silent, they take on that thousand-yard stare, then they ‘come back to the room’, often with a chuckle or shaking their head. Their reality has been permanently shifted.
But the question is, how to make your hit rate with reframes much more reliable? How to develop an intuition for what reframe will work, when to deliver it, and how?
How Conversational Reframing will develop your reframing skills
The Conversational Reframing course will imbue your mind with a whole new way of seeing reframing with dozens of examples, a new way of seeing reframes, interactive exercises in how to construct them, video and audio. Almost by osmosis, you’ll become a better reframer.
In addition to the many reframe examples, stories and metaphors in the course, perhaps an even greater benefit will be how it helps you creatively, spontaneously and instantly produce the right reframe for the right, unique person just at the right time.
Reframing = wisdom?
It’s not just your clients who will notice your new reframing abilities.
If you can reframe artfully and nimbly, it demonstrates the ability to hold multiple contexts in the mind at one time, perhaps the most obvious sign of wisdom. When you’re skilful with reframes, you can make everyone around you feel better without them necessarily knowing why. (And without looking like the ‘positivity police’!).
Here’s a quick summary of what Conversational Reframing contains. The whole course is geared to quickly improving your reframing skills. Dozens of reframe examples which seed your mind with patterns and approaches to make you into a flexibly-minded reframing artist.
- Powerful Reframes, our popular audio reframing trainer in downloadable mp3 format – this is also provided in eBook format in case you prefer to learn by reading
- 3 example reframing videos of Mark demonstrating reframes with our client actors
- Interactive Exercises to hone your reframing skills
- Audio, eBook and Kindle versions of Mark’s reframing book, New Ways of Seeing
- Audio and eBook versions of Reframing through Stories and Metaphor Provided in both written and audio format, Mark originally set out to create a short document on this topic. However, it turned into an comprehensive 39 page eBook with lots of examples of using stories to reframe, and a lot more besides!
- Monthly Live Question & Answer Session with Mark – join your fellow students from this and our other courses to ask Mark questions about the course and any therapy-related queries you have. You can ask your questions live on the call or submit them beforehand and if you can’t make the live calls, they’ll be available to download the following day (in mp3 format).
- Certificate of completion. On successful completion of the course you will receive a personalized certificate and confirmation of 9 CPD/CEU hours or points earned.
- Access to the Uncommon Practitioners Private Facebook Group where you can chat with like-minded practitioners, get support, discuss cases or just share your latest beautiful photo.
Testimonials from our previous students
"Learning to use reframes allows the clients to 'see' a path forward"
Conversational reframing is an essential therapeutic tool on many levels.... Read More
- Alta Rens, Counselling Psychologist, UK.
"I found that it has opened an interesting new door in approaching the “yes, but” or “the sky is falling” client."
I learned a lot from the Conversational Reframing Course. I... Read More
- Charlene Wolfe, Certified Hypnotist, Texas, USA.
"I would definitely recommend this course to any therapist wishing to broaden their skills base"
The Conversational Reframing course provided me not only with theory,... Read More
- Dr. Gabby Eadie, Counselling Psychologist, Klerksdorp, South Africa.
"Such a thought-provoking, enjoyable and well presented course"
This a such a thought-provoking, enjoyable and well presented course... Read More
- Ian Stevenson, Psychotherapist and Hypnotherapist, Surrey, UK.
"I would highly recommend this course to anyone involved with professional change work."
The Conversational Reframing course helps you to further develop your... Read More
- James Malone.
"If struggling with a client, spending some time thinking of a reframe is an excellent way to see the case differently."
Reframing is possibly something we all do from time to... Read More
- Joan Anderton, Counsellor, England.
"This course offered so many great ideas…"
This course offered so many great ideas and, even though... Read More
- Julie Perry, Counsellor/Hypnotherapist (retired), Victim Support volunteer, UK.
"I used one of the stories with my very next client the day after!"
This course has proved so valuable to me since I... Read More
- Lesley Jane Sinnott, Counsellor and Hypnotherapist, London, UK.
"I found the course useful for new ideas."
Although I automatically use reframing within my work with clients,... Read More
- Lynda Roberts, Hypnotherapist, Essex, UK.
"Despite over thirty years in the therapy field, I am always amazed at the realization I will never know it all."
I have just finished the course. Despite over thirty years... Read More
- Stephen Pinsent, Registered Psychologist, Corner Brook, Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada.
"This has helped me personally as well as professionally."
Totally LOVED this course, and I extend heartfelt gratitude that... Read More
- Tammy Hatherill, Clinical Hypnotherapist and Reiki/Tarot Master and Teacher, Darwin, Australia.
"Course was a pleasant experience for me and reading the book in advance was helpful"
The course was a pleasant experience for me and reading... Read More
- Tiberius Budulea.
"One of the most valuable and important courses I have attended...in nearly 40 years of practice!"
I would highly recommend this course. It has been one... Read More
- Hugh Ruxton, Osteopath, Shrewsbury, UK.
"That's it! That's what it's like!"
This course was really engaging and insightful. I’ve noticed that... Read More
- Dee McCormick, Integrative Counsellor and Art Therapist, Dublin, Ireland.
"I even caught myself using some of the techniques on my own thinking!"
I found the reframing course very helpful in diving deep... Read More
- Kayli Larkin, Relational Coach, USA.
"A truly transformational experience"
Conversational Reframing is a truly transformational experience both personally and... Read More
- Vivien Adams, Hypnotherapist & Health & Life Coach, Dunedin, New Zealand.
"I was overwhelmed by some of the stories"
I was looking forward to doing the Conversational Reframing course... Read More
- Andrew Healey, Disability Support Coordinator/Weekend Coach (Resilience and Solution Focused), Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.
"Really good course for further developing the skill of using this excellent therapeutic technique"
I did the conversational reframing course as part of my... Read More
- Mary Spierin, Hypnotherapist & Counsellor, Dublin, Ireland.
"Fantastic and invaluable learning experience backed up by a wonderful, caring and supportive team!"
It is a super engaging course – so much so... Read More
- Alessia, Clinical Hypnosis, Psychotherapy, London.
"It was very powerful."
I was able to use my client’s own subconscious metaphors... Read More
- Ann Taylor, LCSW, California, USA.
"This conversational reframing course was THE best and most useful PD I have done"
This conversational reframing course was THE best and most useful... Read More
- Louise Richardson, Cunderdin, Western Australia.
"Conversational Reframing has helped to broaden my knowledge base tremendously!"
I’m a fairly new hypnotist and the Conversational Reframing course... Read More
- Kathleen Turek-Said, Hypnotist, Arizona, USA.
"I am so excited to delve into the pursuit of finding and mastering old and new myths, fables, stories and analogies to add to my therapeutic tool belt!"
I just finished this course and absolutely loved it. As... Read More
- Lea Siebert, Hypnotherapist-Acupuncturist, Hawaii, USA.
"At the end I felt confident to use the reframing technique intuitively in a number of different interactions"
The presentation is excellent and for me the course was... Read More
- Madeleine Godinho, Call center support and engagement, West Yorkshire, UK.
"Taking this gave me a real confidence boost and awareness. I use it a lot with clients presenting with anxiety and depression"
I learnt about reframing in a basic NLP course and... Read More
- Carole Randell, Psychotherapist and Counsellor, Whakatane, New Zealand.
"I really enjoyed the course and love that you provide us with the support that you do."
Thank you so much. It makes perfect sense. I really... Read More
- Anonymity Requested.
"I learned many possible ways to help a client shift and learn. I would recommend this program to all therapists."
We were provided vignettes and had time to think about... Read More
- Beverly Mason.
"An excellent course."
An excellent course. Focuses upon the importance of frames and... Read More
- Sid Oliver, Independent M/H Social Worker & Therapist, SE.England, UK.
Frequently Asked Questions